Friday, November 30, 2012

Sailing through the sea of life..



Sailing through the sea of life..

By: Aracely Baeza


Richard Bode seems to me to be somewhat of a pessimist when it comes to writing analogies and metaphors about his life, in his very popular book First You Have to Row a Little Boat:Reflections on Life & Living, which turned into a bestseller in 1995, has also gone through several hardcover printings and not to mention has been published in twelve foreign-language editions.

 Bode talks about how he was very unhappy in his public relations career and compares his life to sailing through the open ocean, and defines the wind as the controlling or guiding force to his life.

"When I was writing Little Boat, I walked on the beach every single day, so I could puzzle out what I was trying to say," says Bode according to Union College Magazine 

                                                                     (Photo credit to: baptist.org)

Bode's marriage fell apart when his children were grown, he decided to move and leave his successful career and live on his own in a cottage on a beach in California. 

He was finally able to do what he had always wanted and write. 

Although, he eventually began to do what he had always wanted to do, the tone in this book about life as mentioned before is not very exciting.
He talks about how he wishes very much that he would have taught his children the right ways to live but at the same time says it as though they should learn all on their own. 


 There are a few "deep" thoughts in the book however like when he says;

“For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.” 

                                                   (Photo credits to: David Sanger Photography)

I can hear the frustration he has with life, he isn't very satisfied but will live with what he has.  

The refrences to sailing in this context may be very appealing to those whom enjoy the open waters and everything that comes with sailing. Personally, I love the ocean and the enormous peace I receive from it, however the way it is portrayed in this book isn't very peaceful. 
It is a good in the sense that it makes you think about life, but sort of makes me question my career choice.

All in all, this book is one of those you must read to get a feel of it for yourself. Being a bestseller though, may show you it might really be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment