Thursday, May 2, 2013

Are You Ready for the Changing World?

Are You Ready for the Changing World?
By: Carly O’Donnell




Intro:
DADBA, what does that mean? You may ask yourself. This acronym made up by Tim Burt, author of “Dark Art: The Changing Face of Public Relations” describes the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. All companies face crisis, and when they do face crisis they go through these five stages. Remember back in 2010 when the oil spill happened? This event was all over the news, and is the perfect example of a crisis. In his book, Burt addresses crises such as the BP oil spill and addresses issues that are faced by the world of public relations today.  


About Tim Burt:

Burt is a former award winning journalist for the “Financial Times” where he spent 16 years in different editorial roles including Media Editor, Motor Industry Correspondent and Nordic Bureau Chief.  He is now a managing partner at StockWell Communications, a strategic communications, a firm based in London that provides counsel to companies all over the world (http://www.stockwellgroup.com/our-team/). Before working with StockWell, Burt was a former partner at Brunswick, one of the largest public relations agencies in the world.


Big Idea
Burt is able to draw from first hand experiences from the different companies he has worked with in order to attempt to explain the changing world of public relations.  Burt takes a new approach on the world of public relations, explaining how this world has been changing since the 21st century, and most companies are not adapting well to the changes happening. He digs deep into the lives of business leaders and public relations managers who have spent their entire lives have advised and counseled executives of major companies through times of crisis.

Review:
This book really gave an idea of the challenges that the public relations world is facing today.  Burt is a very experienced, very intelligent business man and when I finished the book I felt as if I had entered a new world of public relations. Burt’s writing is engaging and interesting, and left me wanting to read more. He brought up unique points that made me think about public relations and the future it’s facing. Because Burt has so much experience, there were times when I felt as if his ideas or the points he was trying to make were too complicated for me. There were times when I felt as if it was hard to relate to the author. However, if I were to re-read this book 10 or 15 years from now, I may have a different opinion.     

Conclusion:
As a student there were times in the book where I felt discouraged, as if there is nothing but a bleak future ahead of me in the public relations world. As I thought about it more, I realized I have an advantage. Yes, the world of public relations is changing but I have the advantage of knowing these changes and embracing them so I can enter the world successfully. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to grow in their knowledge of the professional world and public relations. If you do read it, I encourage you to not be dispirited about what you read, but take it as an opportunity to adapt and make a change in the world of public relations.    

Reviews and Biographies:













No comments:

Post a Comment