Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Plentiful Harvest

Book Title: A Plentiful Harvest: Creating Balance and Harmony Through the Seven Living Virtues
Author: Terrie Williams
Length: 300 pages
Publisher: Warner Books
Price: $14.95 (NEW PAPERBACK)
                                                                           


It’s Harvesting Season
By: Donavon Kelly
In the book, “A Plentiful Harvest,” Terrie Williams explains how she used the Kwanzaa-inspired seven living virtues – calling, responsibility, thrift, love, community, spirituality and creativity – to change her life. Williams expresses how she wanted to create a guide to help people finding their way through life. Williams gives personal experiences to help explain each virtue and incorporates weekly activities. This is a book that should be read carefully. Following the timetable of 52 weeks will help the reader to get the most out of it.


            Williams opens the first living virtue with a quote from George Washington Carver. “No individual has any right to come into the world and go out of it without leaving behind him distinct and legitimate reasons for having passed through it.”

            Calling. The first and most important living virtue. If you want to really explore where your life is headed, start here. I spent the most time focusing on this virtue. Being that I am a college student, I haven’t exactly experienced life so to speak. However, the need to discover my calling seems to be in the back of my head all the time. Reading though Williams’ experiences about majoring in something she THOUGHT matched her life calling to help others and then spending time in a hospital, really had my mind racing. I don’t really know what I want to do with my degree yet. I’ve always been focused on getting a good job so that I can earn a decent living. Recently, I’ve been worried about choosing the wrong job and being miserable just because the money was good. Let’s just say I couldn’t have chosen a better time to start reading this book. Now I find myself following her seven steps to discovering your calling, mainly reflection and prayer.


            The rest of the book seems to be a little premature for someone my age. I would, however, recommend it to anyone feeling lost or stuck in life. It’s never too early or too late to get your life on track.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very thoughtful response. Keep asking important questions.

    ReplyDelete