Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My Career Is What I Do, Not Who I Am


Book: A Plentiful Harvest: Creating Balance and Harmony Through The Seven Living Virtues
Author: Terrie Williams
Length: 320 pages (Paperback)
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Price: $17.99 on Amazon

My Career Is What I Do, Not Who I Am
by: Dusti Gasparovic

     

A Plentiful Harvest written by Terrie Williams places value in evoking self-reflection by providing a personal anecdote of pursuit of happiness and career. She wisely advises the reader to keep a reflective journal as they read and walk through the 7 “Living Virtues,” essentially cleaning out the clutter in their life by prioritizing and simplifying various stresses.  
              One of William’s virtues is community. I think this is very insightful for her to include because often times we overlook the powerful influence of the company we keep, or the lack thereof.  Over the course of the chapter, Williams suggests finding or recognizing a core group of people who provide support in good character, values and morals. This will help one stay on the path they have chosen instead of easily being led astray.

I appreciate Williams’s openness and honesty throughout this book as she uses her story to guide others along the path to success, no longer the “walking wounded.” A Plentiful Harvest is like a look into Williams’ journal; she shares the nitty-gritty of her story and personal victories.  Williams is a licensed social worker and holds degrees from Brandeis and Columbia Universities. She is a public relations entrepreneur who founded her own public relations agency and created Stay Strong Foundation, serving youth across the nation.
As a younger reader, I interpret the text as a big warning sign saying, “find yourself before you find a career.” I think this book is written to an audience of professional’s ages 30 to 60, but it speaks just as well to young professionals beginning their careers.  As a young professional reading this book, my tactic would be to start backwards. I would begin by answering the question, “What kind of legacy do I want to leave?” From there, I would discover ways to accomplish my desired legacy by keeping a reflective journal of my 7 “Living Virtues.”
            I aim to believe that my generation, Generation Y, has heeded the advise from the generation before us that money will never truly grant personal satisfaction. We are a go-getter generation that believes we can, and will make a difference in this world. In order to do so, we must pursue our passion, not a paycheck.

I would recommend this book to any professional, just beginning or well into a career. This book is an easy read, but not intended to be a quick one. The true purpose of this book is not the text bound between the covers, but what is written in the pages of the readers’ journal, that is where the plentiful harvest is sown.

1 comment: