Thursday, December 5, 2013

I Have Definitely Caught The Bug

Book Title: Contagious Why Things Catch On
Author: Jonah Berger
Length: 256 pages
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Price: $18.89

I Have Definitely Caught The Bug
by: Claire White

I share certain secrets so I can look like an insider, I go to exclusive restaurants to look like I am higher up in society and I even make sure my clothes give off the vibe that I am a special person. Everyone does this, and now I understand why. We are a walking example of what Berger calls "social currency." This is an essential reason of why things catch on. Berger explains that word of mouth, just like sharing a secret to make yourself look like an insider, is crucial for things to start catching on. 


Jonah Berger is the Associate Marketing professor at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and even teaches a class called Contagious: How Products, Behavious and Ideas Catch On which is centered around his book. Berger has also been published in the Wall Street Journal, Harvard Business Review, BusinessWeek and more. (http://bit.ly/1cpiPmT)

In this book, Berger plainly states why things "catch on" and start trending. How something so horrible like the "Gangnam Style" song or even a distasteful ad never leaves our minds.


Now in my daily life as a student studying public relations, or just someone listening to music in my car, I completely understand why things go viral after reading this interesting novel. This book has definitely given me more insight to what I will experience when I graduate.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning why certain things start trending, especially people in the marketing, advertising or public relations field. The "recipe" Berger explains will help me in my career and I am sure it will help many more as well.

photo credit: causeweremen.com
photo credit: business insider.com

No comments:

Post a Comment