Sunday, March 30, 2014

Dinner with Tina Fey

Rachel Zembraski
JMC 3432.004
28 March 2014

Bossypants
Tina Fey
275 pages
Little, Brown and Company
$15.99

Bossypants review: Dinner with Tina Fey

            My favorite thing Tina Fey reveals in Bossypants is how she watched the comedy industry transition to respect women in a workplace that before had not. Fey saw the evolution, but she was also a part of it, which makes her qualified to write about a journey to becoming a female boss. Fey’s writing style is light, conversational and funny. Readers will begin to trust her immediately, and the trust never fades throughout each story. Her humor leaves out emotional depth in the writing; however, it seems as though Fey intends for the reader to think about his or her own opinion on the subject.

            After finishing the book, I determined Fey and I were good friends who just became really good friends while catching up over a long dinner. Readers will discover many new and respectable things about Fey. I learned how hard she worked to make it big in the business; I previously assumed she just got lucky on her big break like most celebrities. Aside from learning about Fey’s character, I took valuable personal lessons away from the experiences and struggles she wrote about. As an aspiring female professional myself, I learned it’s important to create your own path to your dreams. Fey proves in order to ultimately be respected you must stick to that path and refuse to worry about the opinions of those who won’t affect your dream’s outcome.


            I recommend the book to anyone who anyone who enjoys Fey’s humor. This is a must read for women who want to enter any profession dominated by males. Most importantly, I would recommend Bossypants to anyone who would love to sit down with Tina Fey and have a life chat over some pasta and wine.

Photo credit: hollywoodhotmoms.com

Photo credit: nydailynews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment